| Port Royal: "No faurer or fytter place" |
|
| Written by Wendy Nilsen Pollitzer |
| Tuesday, 08 November 2011 12:17 |
|
Excerpts from the book Images of America: Port Royal, by Wendy Nilsen Pollitzer
This article is the first in a two part series. To understand Port Royal’s many circumstances of untimely fate, this first article will explain the history of the town to include information about the area’s wealth of forts, the Port Royal Railroad, the phosphate industry, the Port Royal Navy Yard and US Marine Corps, the shrimping industry and finally, the Port of Port Royal. In the next issue, the second article will introduce the Town of Port Royal as it exists today… what’s scheduled to ensue with the sale of the port property, how the Cypress Wetlands project and the Port Royal Sound Foundation will enhance quality of life and what the town is doing to create opportunity for economic success.
The Town of Port Royal was incorporated in 1874; the history of the Port Royal area, however, dates back to 1562, when Capt. Jean Ribaut, a French Huguenot, led an expedition with two vessels from Havre De Grâce, France, to prey on Spanish treasure fleets returning to Spain from Central and South America. Ribaut discovered a large harbor with marshes, rivers and inlets surrounding its entrance. He named the area Port Royal, the settlement Charlesfort, and the region Carolus in honor of King Charles IX of France. Ribaut wrote that he had found, “…no faurer or fytter place…than Port Royal.” He returned to France and left several men behind to defend the fort, but after several months, the men mutinied and sailed back to Europe. The Spanish destroyed Charlesfort to erase any claim the French had on the land and eventually established a permanent settlement in St. Augustine, FL. The Orista and Escamacu Indians, inhabitants before Ribaut’s discovery, were once again the area’s only dwellers. But, in 1669, the English settled the region, colonized present-day Beaufort, and later relocated to Albermarle Point in Charleston, where it was deemed safer by explorer Henry Woodward.
Port Royal Railroad Company ultimately chose acreage surrounding the Old Fort Plantation for the site of its terminus. In 1869, Stephen Caldwell Millett began construction on the railroad that spanned all of Port Royal Island, from the Coosaw River to the Battery River. It was completed in 1874, the same year a charter was issued for the Town of Port Royal. The town was laid out with wide streets, 25x100-foot lots and 200x500-foot blocks, with commercial and industrial development in mind. Port Royal grew quickly, boasting a cotton compress, reputed to be the largest in the world, numerous train elevators and warehouses, and a thriving port. Merchants took advantage of the natural depth and width of the Port Royal Harbor, In 1876, a coaling station and naval storehouse at neighboring Parris Island was set up followed by the construction of the largest wooden dry dock on the East Coast. The U.S. Naval Station at Port Royal welcomed great battleships. In fact, the USS Maine was stocked with provisions from the Scheper Store in Port Royal before departing for Cuba on what became its final voyage. The loss of the battleship in the harbor at Havana triggered the Spanish-American War. During the 1800s, many homes were built by prospering merchants. The town enjoyed mercantile establishments, grocery stores, drug stores, a hotel, a bakery, a blacksmith and 17 bars. The town even supported its own newspaper, the Palmetto Post. In 1882, S.H. Rodgers, editor and publisher of the newspaper wrote, “Recognizing the Town of Port Royal as the great seaport of the State, we believe that in fostering and encouraging its commercial interests, we will thereby advance the material wealth of South Carolina and add to the happiness of the people of this section.”
Small industry saved the town from total economic and social demise. In 1922, Capt. Charles Vecchio brought commercial shrimping to Port Royal. In October 1997, the Town of Port Royal adopted the Traditional Town Overlay District. It put restrictions on material, size, and placement of new structures on Paris Avenue and other streets in the heart of town. Though it upset many residents, the ordinance was intended to control growth, create pedestrian-friendly streets, encourage newcomers, and generally beautify the town, and that it did. Real Estate speculation soared in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. In fact, dirt in Port Royal was the most expensive in the county. But, in 2008, when the recession began, prices plummeted and Port Royal once again experienced economic decline.
Today, Port Royal is in the midst of making significant history. In 2004, Gov. Mark Sanford signed legislation to sell the Port of Port Royal, owned by the State. The valuable waterfront acreage is scheduled to be sold to developers this month, which will put the property back on the town’s tax rolls. An announcement of the intent for use of the Lemon Island Marina will be November 19th, and completion of the Cypress Wetland beautification project will be early December. Martha Ann Moussatos once wrote, “I dream of her sleeping harbor someday awakening and making the little village stand tall and distinguished once more. Until then, Port Royal remains small, quiet, retrospective, and still good to call home.” I believe that many share Ms. Moussatos’ sentiments. And the Town of Port Royal may soon be able to exhale and enjoy a break. They’ve certainly worked hard for one.
|